Although remote work offers flexibility and productivity advantages, it can also pose significant security challenges to IT teams. These concerns cover the technology and applications themselves and users’ security awareness – not to mention cyber attacks themselves.
Worse still, sophisticated attackers often need to breach only one device to access an entire organisation’s network. This can be achieved through a phishing attack, or via a vulnerability in an unpatched network. In this event, cyber attacks can lead to exposure across the organisation’s whole network before a full-scale data breach ensues.
Five remote work security & usability challenges
These are some of the top challenges facing our customers and UK firms in general.
Connecting to an office network
- Potential company network exposure (if connecting unknowingly with a compromised device).
- Connectivity and speed challenges taking a toll on productivity.
Device security challenges
- Outdated device’s operating system (OS) version is more prone to known and exploitable vulnerabilities.
- Jailbroken or compromised devices.
Network security challenges
- Lack of visibility into who’s accessing what set of resources, using which devices from where and how long.
- Compromised devices can “teleport” to the network. Lack of remediation steps upon failed access. Challenges supporting multi-cloud connection to access resources.
Phishing and other cyber threats
- Aims to steal personal data, work or financial account credentials, or any other valuable data.
- It appears to be sent from a reliable source and usually contains malicious links or attachments.
- This leads to clicking on links that steal accounts credentials or installing fraudulent software.
- VPNs are struggling to meet the demands of remote and hybrid working. They:
- Do not enforce corporate device security and compliance requirements.
- Expose company network by providing access not only to an intended resource but to the entire company network.
- Do not support role-based access.
- Don’t protect from web-based attacks such as credential theft, phishing, drive-by downloads, or malvertising.
For remote work and employees to thrive, it’s essential to ensure fast and secure access to company data and resources. Innovative rather than outdated security practices are critical to support the new way of work, where security empowers employees and companies by enhancing productivity and collaboration.
Want to learn more?
Complete IT Systems have a team of Barracuda specialists on hand to demo the solution, discuss business benefits and help you understand how the technology works for your organisation.
To get in touch or request a demo please contact us.