USB drives are the tried and trusted faithful companion in professional life. They were around long before cloud-based file storage, sync and share platforms, they don’t rely on WiFi connections, and they are just an easy way of getting data from A-to-B. What’s not to love?
There’s a ‘but’…
It shouldn’t be news by now, but they come with substantial risks of a data leak. Here’s the risks by numbers:
- USB drives have been lost in 49% of companies
- Employees save sensitive data on USBs in 24% of companies
- 91% of USB drives used for this data are unencrypted
That’s not a good situation at any time, lest of all in the age of data privacy and regulations such as GDPR – we discuss more in our blog here.
How can I shore up my company’s data?
There’s 4 simple steps you can take to ensuring no sensitive data (or any data for that matter) with company financial information, customer details or sales pipeline, confidential employee data, product roadmaps and so on are secure.
- Create awareness of the problem among your users (share the infographic below)
- Educate and train your users
- Set and implement policies
- Use hardware-based encrypted USB drives, and/or an appropriate enterprise-grade cloud file sync and share platform
Click on the image below to see the full infographic
How we can help
Complete IT Systems and Kingston Technology have the solutions, experience, accreditations and skills to provide your business with the security solutions you need. For more information call us on 01274 396 213 or contact us and we can call you back.